RihannaMyElegant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 16 March 2013

Barbara Black Koltuv's The Book of Lilith

Posted on 01:31 by Unknown

I'm in two minds about Barbara Black Koltuv's The Book of Lilith. I found the history of the myths surrounding Lilith, and her previous incarnations in other cultural traditions, utterly fascinating. This is a history of women and myth that I knew nothing about. Koltuv's choice to quote large sections of original text were of immense value. On the other hand, I was less fond of Koltuv's use of psychoanalysis because I felt it involved an essentialist construction of women as being either Eve or Lilith. This is obviously an odd criticism considering Koltuv is a well-respected psychoanalyst but the constant reference to the power of modern women's sexuality detracted from the origin myths of Lilith. 

Prior to reading this, I knew nothing of Lilith and I will have to reread this book as there is just so much information packed into such a short text that I feel I have missed out on pieces of Lilith's story.  I knew Lilith was the first woman in one version of the Christian tradition but I did not know about Lilith's construction within Jewish texts. I certainly did not know that Lilith is purported to be one of the two "mothers" of the infant in the Biblical story the Judgement of Solomon. I want to know more but I found myself distracted by Koltuv's inclusion of her current patients. Koltuv's use of psychoanalysis to read the stories of Lilith throughout history was really powerful and riveting but the references to her modern practise were simply not. 

Lilith's rewriting as mother and whore, as the moon but also a deity fascinates me. So, if anyone has any excellent recommendations to read on the story of Lilith [and written by women!], please let me know.



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in #culturalfemicide, #ReadingOnlyBooksWrittenByWomen, Women Writers, Women's History, Women's History Month, Women's Literature, Women's Stories | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Why We Oppose Votes For Men
    This keeps getting retweeted through my feed. It makes me giggle every time.
  • The Netmums Survey: Mark 2
    I know I have already blogged about this but it has made me very, very cross. There is so much wrong with this survey. It's poorly word...
  • Girls Can't Have their own magazines because it's "sexist"
    I've been spamming every Facebook group I'm in with links to JumpMag which is an utterly brilliant advertising-free magazine aimed ...
  • Monster house: Reinforcing VAW in a Children's Film
    My kids have watched this film a few times while I've pottered about around them listening but not really listening. It is incredibly di...
  • On Sisterhood: Kris Radish's The Sunday List of Dreams
    I've blogged incessantly about my love for Kris Radish's My Elegant Gathering of White Snows which is fairly obvious considering I ...
  • My Favourite Books of 2012 (Some Spoilers)
    I know that everyone does this and blah, blah, blah but I genuinely don't care. I recommend books to everyone, even if they don't ac...
  • Femen: Not Quite Buying This as a Feminist Protest
    I first heard of the Ukrainian Feminist group  Femen on a news report. Whilst the male journalists discussing Femen were all congratulatory...
  • "Mean Girls", Online Feminism and Misogynistic Language
    I have been debating writing this ever since I saw Sadie Smith's piece " There's no Point in Online Feminism if it's an exc...
  • Yet Another Example of Male Entitlement Bulldozing Over Women Without A Thought
    I don't usually write about articles in the Daily Mail.  Frankly, they are so misogynistic, racist, disablist and homophobic normally th...
  • Edward Furlong: Making a Habit out of Domestic Violence.
    (This blog has been rewritten to reflect the comments raised below) Edward Furlong has been arrested for domestic violence  for the third ti...

Categories

  • #BuyingOnlyMusicByWomen (2)
  • #celebrityculture (9)
  • #culturalfemicide (64)
  • #dickheaddetox (21)
  • #EverydaySexism (38)
  • #EverydayVictimBlaming (3)
  • #FeministFriendlyFilms (5)
  • #IBelieveHer (33)
  • #IDidNotReport (16)
  • #IWD (1)
  • #ListeningOnlyToMusicByWomen (6)
  • #maleviolence (24)
  • #RadFem2013 (5)
  • #rapeculture (84)
  • #ReadingOnlyBooksWrittenByWomen (60)
  • #shoutingback (4)
  • #silentnomore (16)
  • #SilentSunday (19)
  • #supportingwomenartists (7)
  • #waronwomen (87)
  • #WeBelieveYou (36)
  • Abortion (17)
  • Abortion Rights (4)
  • amenorrhea (4)
  • Benevolent Sexism (7)
  • Birth Control (9)
  • Black History Month (1)
  • Body-Shaming (2)
  • Boycott (21)
  • Breastfeeding (8)
  • Bullying Culture (4)
  • Canadian Literature (2)
  • capitalism (1)
  • Caroline Criado Perez (1)
  • Celebrity Culture (28)
  • celebrity endorsement (1)
  • Child abuse (13)
  • Child Maintenance (2)
  • Child Neglect (5)
  • Child Rape (19)
  • Childbirth (4)
  • childcare (1)
  • Children's Films (9)
  • children's literature (6)
  • Children's Movies (1)
  • Compulsory Heterosexuality (4)
  • Cultural Appropriation (4)
  • Cultural Femicide (66)
  • Disablism (11)
  • Divorce (1)
  • Domestic Violence (77)
  • Eating disorders (6)
  • Edinburgh Book Festival (3)
  • Everyday Sexism (4)
  • Exited Women (1)
  • Facebook (2)
  • Fairy Tales (5)
  • Family (1)
  • Family Annihilators (4)
  • fashion-beauty complex (34)
  • Fat-shaming (2)
  • Female Artists (8)
  • Female Genital Mutilation (4)
  • Femen (6)
  • Femicide (5)
  • feminism (123)
  • Feminist Activism (91)
  • Feminist Theory (11)
  • Fertility (1)
  • fibromyalgia (1)
  • Financial Abuse (1)
  • Free Speech (19)
  • Gender Stereotyping (10)
  • Gendercide (14)
  • Gendering Children (11)
  • Genocide (3)
  • Girl Guides (1)
  • Gun Control (1)
  • Halloween (1)
  • Handmaidens (16)
  • Handmaidesn (1)
  • Harmful Cultural Practises (27)
  • Hate Crime (1)
  • Healthcare (3)
  • Heteronormativity (4)
  • Holocaust (3)
  • Homophobia (5)
  • Housing Benefit (1)
  • Human Rights Watch (1)
  • Humanism (1)
  • Hyper-masculinity (22)
  • hyper-sexuality (22)
  • IBelieveHer (1)
  • Infertility (3)
  • Injunctions (2)
  • International Boycotts (1)
  • International Women's Day (1)
  • Intimate Partner Violence (5)
  • JumpMag (3)
  • Language (6)
  • Lesbian separatism (1)
  • Lesbians (1)
  • Lesbophobia (1)
  • literature (6)
  • Louise Mensch (1)
  • Male Entitlement (41)
  • Male Violence (27)
  • Male Violence Against Women (143)
  • manplaining (2)
  • Mass Media (4)
  • Menstruation (1)
  • military-industrial complex (4)
  • Million Women Rise (2)
  • Misandry (1)
  • Miscarriage (1)
  • Misogynistic Advertising (25)
  • Misogynistic Advertising Walk of Shame (27)
  • Misogyny (193)
  • Misogyny in Film (7)
  • Misogyny in Music (4)
  • Misogyny in television (5)
  • Mooncup (2)
  • Motherhood (1)
  • Mumsnet (19)
  • Music by women (3)
  • Netmums (1)
  • Neuroscience (1)
  • Neuroskeptic (1)
  • NIA (3)
  • Nincompoop (18)
  • Nincompoopery (6)
  • Nobel Peace Prize (1)
  • Objectification of Women (56)
  • Olympics (2)
  • Parenting (1)
  • Patriarchal Conformity (35)
  • Patriarchal Fuckability Test (47)
  • Patriarchy (64)
  • PETA (7)
  • Petition (4)
  • Pink Stinks (2)
  • PIV (2)
  • Polanski (2)
  • Porn Culture (16)
  • Pornography (18)
  • Poverty (9)
  • Pregnancy (1)
  • Prostitution (11)
  • Pussy Riot (8)
  • Racism (21)
  • Radical Feminism (19)
  • Rape (53)
  • Rape Crisis Scotland (2)
  • Rape Culture (95)
  • Rape Myths (5)
  • Reality Television (7)
  • Reclaim the Night (2)
  • Reproductive Rights (4)
  • Right to Privacy (2)
  • Roman Polanski (4)
  • School Uniforms (1)
  • Scotland (1)
  • sex entertainment industry (12)
  • Sex Tourism (1)
  • Sex Trafficking (2)
  • Sexist Advertising (16)
  • Sexual Harassment (3)
  • Sexual Violence (59)
  • Silent Sunday (2)
  • Sisterhood (8)
  • Slut-Shaming (17)
  • Slutwalk (3)
  • Stockholm Syndrome (1)
  • Substance Misuse (2)
  • Sudden Infant Death Syndrome [SIDS] (1)
  • teenage pregnancies (1)
  • The Women's Room UK (2)
  • Torture (2)
  • transactivism (1)
  • Transgenderism (2)
  • Transphobic (1)
  • Trident (1)
  • Twitter (2)
  • UK Feminsta (1)
  • Vagenda (1)
  • Vagina (3)
  • Victim Blaming (24)
  • Violence against Women (142)
  • Violence Against Women in Scotland (4)
  • War on Women (81)
  • Welfare State (6)
  • White Supremacy (4)
  • Womanism (2)
  • women (8)
  • Women Academics (1)
  • women and law (2)
  • Women Artists (2)
  • Women Athletes (2)
  • Women Bloggers (23)
  • Women in Prostitution (1)
  • Women Writers (67)
  • women-blaming culture (53)
  • women-only spaces (3)
  • Women's Films (2)
  • women's health (1)
  • Women's History (18)
  • Women's History Month (6)
  • Women's Holocaust Testimonies (1)
  • Women's Liberation (8)
  • Women's Library (1)
  • Women's Literature (24)
  • Women's Music (2)
  • Women's Poetry (7)
  • Women's Rights (17)
  • Women's Stories (5)
  • World Breastfeeding Week (1)
  • World Wildlife Federation (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (260)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (33)
    • ►  June (31)
    • ►  May (37)
    • ►  April (32)
    • ▼  March (38)
      • Silent Sunday IX: Inspiring and Thought-Provoking ...
      • Jezebel: Could We Please Stop Confusing Humanism w...
      • Hilary Boyd's Thursdays in the Park
      • "Mean Girls", Online Feminism and Misogynistic Lan...
      • Barbara Kingsolver's Pigs in Heaven
      • Silent Sunday Blog Round-Up VIII
      • #DickheadDetox : Micheal Fassbender
      • Helen Castor's She-Wolves:The Women Who Ruled Engl...
      • The Daddy Rat : Cordelia Fine's Delusions of Gende...
      • #DickheadDetox : Bill Roache: Just Another Creepy ...
      • Apparently, Bar Rafaeli is JUST Leonardo DiCaprio'...
      • The Steubenville Rapists Have Been Found Guilty Bu...
      • Round-Up VIII: Inspiring and Thought-Provoking Blo...
      • Jewly Hight's Right By Her Roots: Americana Women ...
      • Barbara Black Koltuv's The Book of Lilith
      • Bristol Women's Literature Festival: Or, Where Ste...
      • #DickHeadDetox : Tom Sizemore's History of Domesti...
      • #Dickhead Detox: Jonathon Togo
      • Women's Prize Longlist: Or, Stewie's Other Favouri...
      • So, The BBC is still confused about Rape Myths:
      • #DickheadDetox : Lane Garrison and that Small Issu...
      • International Women's Day Annual Playlist
      • Petronella Wyatt: Demonstrating what Child Groomin...
      • #DickheadDetox: When did John Lennon become a femi...
      • #DickheadDetox : David Bowie, Jimmy Page and that ...
      • "Books We've Read"
      • #DickHeadDetox : Ray Winstone's an Arsenugget
      • The Blog Round-Up VII: Blogs Which Have Inspired M...
      • International Women's Day 2013: Thank a Feminist!
      • Lisa See’s Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
      • Edward Furlong is Finally Going to Prison
      • If Heterosexuality is Compulsory, I want to Marry ...
      • Using Amazon for Feminist Activism
      • The Round-Up VI: Blogs That Have Inspired Me This ...
      • Amazon's Keep Calm and Commit VAW T-Shirts [with t...
      • My Favourite Texts on Women's History
      • How to Tell When You Need to Invest in a Divorce L...
      • #ReadingOnlyBooksWrittenByWomen : Women's History ...
    • ►  February (38)
    • ►  January (28)
  • ►  2012 (240)
    • ►  December (28)
    • ►  November (34)
    • ►  October (50)
    • ►  September (28)
    • ►  August (36)
    • ►  July (33)
    • ►  June (27)
    • ►  May (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile